Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Panadillas-Puerto Rican Recipe


There is so much in putting this blog together.  I don’t know where to start.  For years this have been on my back burner.  Jessica said she would help.  How can I begin to tell of the years of cooking and creating with my mom and grandmother? They were both great bakers. I know my mom and grandmother would love to have their traditions passed on.  I love my family and extended family.  I pray for joy, light, peace, health, and happiness in your homes and lives.

 
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. I will respond. 

 Grandma Secunda Carvalho Ramos' Panadilla Recipe. 

A few weeks ago I found her recipe when I was emptying a box.  I am trying to get my life in order and work on the blog faithfully again.  I have had family and friends ask me to type my recipes and share some of my crafty ideas. 


Panadilla from the Kitchen of Secunda
Ingredients for the filling:
2 pounds cubed pork or ground beef 
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup chopped fine Cilantro
2 eight oz. cans of tomato sauce
(please note, in the picture we have green onions, we have decided to omit them from the recipe.)

Ingredients for the dough:

4 cups flour
½ cup Crisco
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup water give or take *
*Liquids:  For a tender crust, you want just enough liquid to moisten the flour without drenching it. Water should be added gradually to the dry ingredients and not all at once.
Altitude and weather also affects your dough.  I sometimes use 1 ½ cups water or 1 cup and 3 tablespoons.  

Filling Preparation:

If using ground beef cook and drain, add other ingredients and on medium heat bring to a boil; next let simmer uncovered for 1/2 hour.  Set aside and let it cool.
 If using pork places all ingredients into a pot on medium heat bring to a boil; next let simmer uncovered for 45 minutes.  Meanwhile, prepare dough. When done simmering let it cool and set a side.

 Panadilla Dough Preparation:

Sift flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in Crisco and add water gradually. 
 This is the consistency you want your dough to be:

Place the dough on a floured counter top.
Roll the dough out into a 1/8 inch thick layer.

 Cut the dough into circles with round cookie cutters, can or Crisco lid:

 Remove the excess dough from the cut out circle:
 
Place about 1 & 1/2 tablespoons of your filling of choice in the center of the dough:

 Dab one half of the dough with water, now carefully fold over the dough with contents into a semicircle:

Crimp down the edges with a fork, or fold over and pinch closed:  

If you prefer you can also use a dough press, you will still need to dab water around one half and fold over and press carefully:

Remember to remove the dough from the pressed Panadillas also:

These are what your prepped panadillas will look like. The one in the back was sealed with a fork, the center was sealed by rolling the edges and pinching and the front is sealed using the dough press. Depending on which method you use is how your panadilla will look. But all of them will be just as good!

Fry in deep oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve warm.
Panadillas can be reheated in a microwave. 


My recipe is a little different from this one and I will post it soon.
 
I have typed this recipe in good faith, it is the best my mind can remember.  So, enjoy and change anything according to your personal tastes. 

This is a family recipe that we enjoy for every Holiday or Special event.
Here's a couple of pictures of me and my husband rolling out the Panadilla dough:









Photobucket

62 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! I am excited to pass these on to my boys too. This is a little different than my mom makes it and I can't wait to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please feel free to email me with any questions and let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
  2. Looks so delicious! Will have to give these a try :)

    I would love to invite you over to my Link Party at The Purple Pumpkin Blog Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If you have any questions, please let me know. I appreciate the invitation to your party and I will definitely link up.

      Delete
  3. That looks so good! I have only tried one other Cuban/PuertoRican dish and I loved it, so maybe I will love these too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. If you do try it, please let me know!

      Delete
  4. Yummy! I love your shape cutter.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Which cutter, the Crisco lid or the pastry press?!! LOL

      Delete
  5. I found your blog at Our Delightful Home and I'm excited to be a new follower, I love the name of your blog. Your recipe looks delicious.

    I hope you will come visit my blog A Rosie Sweet Home @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/ Follow along too if you like.

    Have a lovely day.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being a new follower and I will visit your blog!

      Delete
  6. Looks absolutely amazing. I'm in need of some new flavours.

    -h

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You might want to try a ham and cheese filling too!!

      Delete
  7. These looks delicious! Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe! I'm pinning it.

    I'm glad you linked up at Take it on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you liked it enough to pin it!

      Delete
  8. I love your recipe! Would you come over to Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind The Curtain and share it with us?
    Thanks, I hope to see you there! ~Sheryl~ http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/?p=33671

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for inviting me. I will try to make it (depends on the computer)!

      Delete
  9. The one is in the top running for my highlight new recipe of the month post!

    Stopped in from Southern Lovely's Show and Tell.

    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look so yummy and cute! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh good Heavens- those look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw your link at My Turn (for us)and had to visit and get the recipe. These sound and look amazing!! I'm drooling :)
    Thank you for sharing this recipe!
    P.S. - We are following you now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have visited your site and enjoyed it!

      Delete
  13. I cannot wait to make these! Pinning the recipe!
    New Follower
    Hugs, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, I'm drooling a little! These look delish, I will be saving this one for the following weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh!!! I want to try and make some!! Love the idea of using a Crisco lid hehe

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!
    P.S. Please don't forget to put my button or text-link somewhere on your blog please :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thank you for posting on The DIY Dreamer. I'll work on that link.

      Delete
  16. Oh this looks so good! My (Cuban) family makes some similar to these and you've made me nostalgic!! Thanks for joining the party at Keep Calm & Link Up! Hope to see you again next week!

    Barbara @ Chase the Star
    chasethestar.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those look delicious! Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party! Pinning to our Pomp Party board!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your comments. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  19. I've re-posted your recipe (along with yummy cupcakes) with credit to you, of course!

    http://thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com/2012/08/new-recipes-apple-pie-cupcakes-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. OH MY these look delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum! Just stopping by from Say it Saturday and those absolutely sound delicious. Even at 8AM I would be willing to eat a few! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These look amazing! I have a friend that lived in Puerto Rico for two years and I've heard him talk about these. He loves them! Thanks for sharing :) New follower here. Yay for being blog friends! Good luck getting things started again. If you need any help, feel free to give me a holler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Try putting ham and cheese in the center of the dough…
      That is amazing! I am excited to have you as a follower, I will visit you.

      Delete
  23. Yum these look fabulous! Thanks for sharing this at the Weekend Wonders party. Hope to see you back on Thursday. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your comment! I will see you on Thursday. You have a great day too!

      Delete
  24. Oh my goodness those look good! I want to try them out. Love your pastry cutter, I'll have to remember that trick. Thanks for linking with me at Say It Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem on the linking. The Crisco lid is a hit. LOL

      Delete
  25. They look yummy!! Thanks for sharing this - I think a blog is a wonderful way to preserve your heritage of family baking and cooking!!
    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I definitely hope that it is preserved for future generations and that it inspires others along the way!

      Delete
  26. Oh my gosh. These panadillas look delicious. They look a bit like the Argentine treats we enjoy.

    Thanks for sharing on Show & Tell at SNAP!

    xoxo, Tauni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tauni! I bet they are similar. Thank you for hosting the party!

      Delete
  27. Wow, these look amazing. What a wonderful way to carry on a family tradition!! This recipe will be FEATURED on Tasty Thursdays this week on The Mandatory Mooch. I hope you will link up again. The party will be live tonight. www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for the feature! I put your button up in my featured section! I will definitely link up again!

      Delete
  28. I can't wait to try these, I just wanted to let you know you will be featured tomorrow on I Freakin did it Friday @ Miss Information! I hope you will come by again and link up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you do, let me know how they turn out! Thank you so much for featuring them! I will definitely be by to link up!

      Delete
  29. Thank you for sharing at Saturday Show and Tell. I hope you'll be back this week to link up again! Have a great weekend!
    -Mackenzie
    http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Acabo de encontrar su receta y que deliciosas se ven las panadillas!
    Thank you for sharing this recipe. It has brought back great memories.
    Gabli

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I love them!

Pin It