Thursday, September 6, 2012

Wise Men Still Seek Him Wooden Plate Tutorial

A few weeks ago, my daughter and I attended a blogger event. I instantly fell in love with their warehouse and store front. We were able to make a beautiful Make & Take and then were given $25 to spend in their warehouse on whatever we would like. That is where I got my Aloha sign and all of the supplies I used to make it. 

About a week ago, I received a package in the mail:
 Inside of my package I found:
A Wooden Plate
1 Sheet of Black Vinyl
Gold Vinyl
Red Sparkly Vinyl
Transfer Paper
Poinsettia Paper Flowers
2 sheets of double sided scrapbook paper
A note explaining the challenge. We were to create something using the contents of our package and anything else that we would like to add.

Here's what I came up with:
If you would like to make your own, here is a tutorial of how I created mine:
1. To start off I took an old Christmas card with one of my favorite images on it. If you would like this image for yourself, this is the artists website:

2. I took a sheet of red glittered paper I had at home and had my Cameo cut it into a 9.8 inch circle. If you don't have a Cameo, you could trace a 9.8 inch circle or use a math compass. 

3. I then used the adhesive that was in my package to adhere my glittered sheet of paper to my plate. 

4. I found a doily pattern that I really liked and used the shape on the Cameo to cut out my green sheet of scrapbook paper. You could use a doily that would fit inside of your inner circle or another shape. I distressed the edges of my doily with a little bit of green distressing ink.

5. I cut my picture of Santa kneeling over the baby Jesus into a circle and adhered it to the inside of my doily. I put 2 coats of mod podge  over my picture in order to preserve it. As a finishing touch, I added a little bit of glitter to the trim of Santa's suit.

6. I cut out the letters to the saying: "Wise Men Still Seek Him" (another one of my favorites) in black vinyl and using transfer paper, I placed the vinyl onto my plate. 

7. I then shaped my paper poinsettia flowers and adhered a group of five of them on my plate. 

8. I used my Cameo and cut out 2 flourishes from my gold vinyl, one mirroring the other. 

I hope that you enjoyed my tutorial and that it was easy to follow. If you have any questions, please let me know.
Photobucket Please remember: All recipes and tutorials are for personal use only. This post was originally posted on


  1. I love that saying and that picture. I have an old wooden plate I have been wanting to makeover and this gave me a great idea!

  2. I love this! That has always been one of my favorite pictures, too. This would be an excellent Christmas present!

  3. Just beautiful!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous weekend!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

  4. Cute! Great idea :)

    Thanks for joining us at the Keep Calm & Link Up party this week - hope to see you again next week!

  5. I love this project. Very creative idea. Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursdays on The Mandatory Mooch. I hope you link up again this week. The party will be live tonight.

    And don’t forget to “like” my Facebook page if you haven’t already.

    Thanks, Nichi

  6. Great project with a wonderful message. Thanks so much for sharing it on Fabulous Friday at Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust.

    Warmly, MIchelle


Thank you for your comments. I love them!

Pin It